It has been a family filled week leading up to my sister's wedding this coming Saturday. My cousin Angie lives on her sailboat in Richmond and we got to help sail her boat across the bay to Coyote Point. Sailed by Alcatraz, Angel Island, Treasure Island and got to sail under the Bay Bridge. Took the BART back to the city. Got a lot of stitching done during the sail and on the BART ride back to the city!
Title: title is pending
Art form: 2-D
Medium: cotton fabric, ink, embroidery floss
Year created: 2011
Description of work: These images are inspired by a body of work that was started ten years ago as an undergraduate in the Department of Art at Michigan State University. By looking at cellular structures and examining plant life at its most basic form, this work becomes a brief snapshot of chaotic events that are the construct of everyday life.
By digitizing elements of pictures created a decade ago, I am able to design new compositions utilizing PhotoShop. This new image is printed on cotton fabric by a large-format digital textile inkjet printer. The pieces are then re-worked with traditional stitches using embroidery floss. This body of work will consist of a large central framed image of approximately 3' by 3.5' surrounded by four to six smaller framed pieces that become microscopic studies of the larger piece.
I never posted pictures from the "Shock the Monkey" Party that I went to in Florida last November. I flew down to to participate in Kiaralinda and Todd's double 50th birthday party. Attendees were asked to dress in a shocking yellow costume or as a monkey. I had a hard time coming up with an idea and finally came up with a yellow sea anemone. I knit and felted all the parts, then sewed it all together on a t-shirt.
Sewing class is almost done. I am working on my last requirement of the class which is to use a knit fabric. Started this project last week and it is moving along fairly quickly, although stretch fabrics are a little bit of a challenge. Only one major mistake made and that was because I wasn't paying attention. I basted the right side of the skirt to the wrong side of the midriff . Thankfully I only had to pull out the basting stitches otherwise I would probably be ripping out stitches for a week. Will post pictures as soon as I get some taken.
McCall's dress pattern M6109.
McCall's dress pattern M6109.
Found this great blog called Male Pattern Boldness a few weeks ago. Blogger Peter Lappin recently hosted a Men's Shirt Sew-Along, which unfortunately I missed. But, I was inspired by all the fabulous shirts and decided to give a try. So here is my try. It was not as complicated as I thought it would be. I thought the collar would be the most challenging part, but in the end it was the sleeves that gave me trouble. I had to rip the seam out about four times. I used McCall's Pattern 6044. I am planning on making a long sleeved version and would treat the seams differently next time.
PS. I do get credit in my sewing class for the collar.